Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Something That I Like....A Lot.

Obsidian is a naturally occurring glass that forms as extrusive igneous rock. It is quite pretty. It comes about when felsic lava is vomited forth from a volcano and then cools without achieving crystal growth. It is also very shiny. It is commonly found in places high in silica. Did I mention it sparkles? While it is mineral like in quality it isn't really a mineral because, being glass, it is not crystalline. Also, it's composition is far to complex to consist of a single mineral. Although pure obsidian is typically dark in colour, that can vary depending on the impurities within it.

I am being very very generous right now by sparing you the details. It is pretty hard to stop myself from launching into monologue mode. Anyway, I collect obsidian. I have many pieces in various sizes hidden throughout the house. I get most of it from my back yard. Unfortunately we do not have many colours here. Have you ever seen/heard of so called Rainbow Obsidian? Or snow flake obsidian? I plan to acquire both types in great quantities. If I make it to college my dorm will likely be full of the stuff. If forensic anthropology does not work out(which, more than likely, it won't)I will definitely pursue something of the geological nature. Expect much more detailed posts on this subject in the near future. Feel free to class them as TL/DR.

No comments: