"What are you doing?" I glance behind me. She followed me. I'm mildly annoyed. "Leaving", I reply over my shoulder. "Oooooh, you're gonna get in trooooooublllle", she sings.
I pick up the phone, dial our number, hold my breath until he answers. "Hello?" "Grandaddy, I want to come home. I don't like it here." There's a long pause. "Well, I have to go to work, Boo. You haven't been there long. It takes time. You'll like it, OK? Just go play and do what the teachers tell you and you'll be alright."
Static in the background. "...OK." I'm reluctant to hang up. He tells me that he loves me and that grandma will pick me up soon. We hang up and I don't know what to do with myself. I wander back into the designated area, with the little girl who's name I never learn,or maybe never care to take note of, follows close at my heels.
"Are you staying?", she asks once we get back to the noise and chaos that is the play area. "Yes...but I won't come back tomorrow."
This, of course, is not true. I would remain there for the duration of the summer. It was almost bearable.
1 comment:
after a series of unpleasant moments with the girl...the idea of being there an entire summer does not sound like much fun.
very awkward, unpleasant surroundings...love the way you describe people as confusing, strange forces.
i turned my comments off again, but i'm not sure why. i don't comment very often on other blogs and i feel guilty about it...i guess i thought it was more fair to turn my comments off. i don't know. not sure what to do.
i hope you're doing well lately; curious to know what you've been up to, how things are going. take care.
m
Post a Comment