
So, the title of my post is pretty self explanatory(or maybe it isn't, but I often feel like people should just understand the meaning of my statements...but that is a discussion for another day!)but it would hardly be considered much of a post if I did not elaborate, now would it?
Now, it is safe to assume that most people are familiar with dyslexia, is it not? Good. Then you must know that people with dyslexia often see the letters of words reversed or otherwise out of order? Great. Well, I experience a very similar anomaly. I often hear sounds in a very jumbled fashion. I tend to hear hear sounds within words out of order. Other times they last the wrong length of time which can cause sounds to overlap each other generally leaving me confused and struggling to separate and reconstruct sentences.
It's pretty weird. I can sometimes repeat what I am being told back to the speaker, but it does not always register. Most of the convesations I have can be compared to "multiple guess", as my English teach calls it. I hear something that I can't quite make out, so I have to think of words that could be a possible match. Let's say I am talking to my friend C.. She may say something along the lines of "(insert name here) is so annoying. I want to run him over with his stupid truck." and I will hear "(insert name here) isgoinggunstupidduck." and I will respond with "He did what with a gun and his duck???". That isn't a very good example...but I sat here for 30 minutes and could not think of any of our past conversations so...yeah. Bottom line, sounds run together and I don't hear consonants so well.
Another issue I have is trying to filter out all that background rubbish! I simply cannot fathom how anyone else does it. I am distracted by sounds that no one else seems to notice. Did you know that T.V. sets emit a high pitched frequency? Did you know that it is louder when the screen is black than when it is on a channel? How about that it is louder still when the screen is blue? Yeah. I can't concentrate on on my work in class if there is an analogue clock. The ticking drives me insane, as does the buzz of the florescent lighting, the movement and talking of the people around me, and any sound from outside.
My science teacher is often exasperated with me because I am always asking her to repeat her questions. This is because I simply cannot hear her properly over the air conditioner and the constantly moving students around me. And, you know, I have a penchant for missing consonant sounds and jumbling up the words. So, I am sure I give her blank stares more often than not only to be very irritated when she repeats her sentence(to another student)and I happen to both understand what she is saying as well as know the correct answer.
Now, as soon as I learn some proper coping methods I will update on this topic.
Now, it is safe to assume that most people are familiar with dyslexia, is it not? Good. Then you must know that people with dyslexia often see the letters of words reversed or otherwise out of order? Great. Well, I experience a very similar anomaly. I often hear sounds in a very jumbled fashion. I tend to hear hear sounds within words out of order. Other times they last the wrong length of time which can cause sounds to overlap each other generally leaving me confused and struggling to separate and reconstruct sentences.
It's pretty weird. I can sometimes repeat what I am being told back to the speaker, but it does not always register. Most of the convesations I have can be compared to "multiple guess", as my English teach calls it. I hear something that I can't quite make out, so I have to think of words that could be a possible match. Let's say I am talking to my friend C.. She may say something along the lines of "(insert name here) is so annoying. I want to run him over with his stupid truck." and I will hear "(insert name here) isgoinggunstupidduck." and I will respond with "He did what with a gun and his duck???". That isn't a very good example...but I sat here for 30 minutes and could not think of any of our past conversations so...yeah. Bottom line, sounds run together and I don't hear consonants so well.
Another issue I have is trying to filter out all that background rubbish! I simply cannot fathom how anyone else does it. I am distracted by sounds that no one else seems to notice. Did you know that T.V. sets emit a high pitched frequency? Did you know that it is louder when the screen is black than when it is on a channel? How about that it is louder still when the screen is blue? Yeah. I can't concentrate on on my work in class if there is an analogue clock. The ticking drives me insane, as does the buzz of the florescent lighting, the movement and talking of the people around me, and any sound from outside.
My science teacher is often exasperated with me because I am always asking her to repeat her questions. This is because I simply cannot hear her properly over the air conditioner and the constantly moving students around me. And, you know, I have a penchant for missing consonant sounds and jumbling up the words. So, I am sure I give her blank stares more often than not only to be very irritated when she repeats her sentence(to another student)and I happen to both understand what she is saying as well as know the correct answer.
Now, as soon as I learn some proper coping methods I will update on this topic.
1 comment:
You could have auditory processing disorder which is sometimes compared to dyslexia except it's with the auditory system. What you describe when you hear conversations is very similar to what I go through. Words jumbled together or missing altogether when there is alot of background noise or lots of people talking at once.
http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/auditory.asp
Can't remember how I found this blog, probably a google search.
Best of luck to you
~Caitlin
Post a Comment